Featured Banner Image

Featured Banner Image

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Art exhibition by Kathy Lovas

The Dining Room Chair 

An art exhibition by Kathy Lovas
UNT on the Square

Date: Nov 12, 2012 - Nov 26, 2012
Reception for the Artist: Friday, Nov. 16, 2012 – 6:00 – 8:00pm
Open to the Public

The Dining Room Chair series is about a chair that has been in my family for several generations. Like the photograph in which it appears, it is a saved artifact and index to the past. I have disassembled, reassembled, traced, embroidered, cast and juxtaposed it with a variety of materials and texts. My art is concept-driven; my projects reference personal narratives as well as the ontology of photography. I am particularly fascinated with the ideas of indexicality and the archive. I am constantly searching for the site of intersection between matter and memory. Using a variety of materials and media, I create visual archives whose elements both help me to remember and allow me to forget.

Dining Room Chair, 2012, Kathy Lovas